Apple iPod mini 4GB – Support Forum

iPOD - pre-purchase questions? [Apple iPod mini 4GB - 110294]

• Glyn
Just a few questions about the iPOD Mini; 1. Does it support resume of last track played? Say for example you are playing track 500 (out of a possible 1000) and you turn the unit off for a while using either Stop or power down (instead of using Pause) does the iPOD remember which track you were on when you turn it back on again? It would be a pain for it to revert back to track 1 again or for me to remember just which track it had been playing the last time I used it and search for it... For example on my DVD player I can use Pause if I want to halt playback for a short time or for longer periods I press Stop once - the unit remembers exactly where playback was halted even if power is turned off and by pressing Play again it resumes playback from that point once more. If the Mini doesn't resume does anyone know if other iPAQ models have this feature? 2. 2nd Gen; I see references to iPOD Mini 2nd Gen - how can I tell if the unit I have ordered is indeed 2nd Gen? What does 2nd Gen bring to the party? 3. iTunes compatability issues; Does the iTunes software have any compatability issues on a PC? By this I mean are you tied into certain hardware/software or places to purchase songs etc? Is it a closed 'shop' where it limits the availability of anything? Does it co-exist with Windows Media Player with regard to playlists etc. etc. Thanks & regards, -=Glyn=-
  • Glyn
As I am overwhelmed by the response to my post and as the iPOD I ordered from Expansys is still showing 7 days (as it has ever since I placed my order) I have already cancelled and purchased from PCWorld cheaper than Expansys! I thought I might fill in the gaps myself in case anyone else wanted to know. 1. Yes it does support resume. If the unit is turned off then it picks up exactly where it left off. 2. I believe the only difference is the extended battery life - supposed to be 18 hours (vs. 8 hours) but we will see. 3. Too early to determine yet suffice to say that iTunes works like a dream. Insert a CD when iTunes is open and it checks with Gracenote CDDB to put in Artist, Album & track names and allows you to rip to the format of your choice. It even plays the CD from the beginning while ripping although the ripping ends well before the first track finishes playing. First impressions are positive but again time will tell. Regards, -=Glyn=-
;