Arkon SF100 SoundFeeder Powered Audio Adaptor – Support Forum

Drift with Arkon SF-100 [Arkon SF100 SoundFeeder Powered Audio Adaptor - 104325]

• lostsoul
Hi, I have seen one of these units purchased by a colleague of mine in the states and brought over for use in the UK. Now, it works well to a degree, however I have noticed a certain amount of drift using this unit purchased in the USA. This is not noticeable in the USA, as most FM Car radios, increment the FM frequency on the tuner in steps of 0.2mhz, however in the UK, they seem (my colleague's and mine certainly do anyway) to increment in steps of 0.05mhz. Thus this drift was not noticed until the unit was used in the UK, and so if the initial tuning is set to 87.70mhz there is the need for substantial retune for example anywhere between 87.55-87.80/85 every few minutes. What I am wanting to know is: a) Is the unit which is sold here idential to the unit sold in the US, if so, does it suffer from the same drift? (I guess the drift is due to it having an analogue tuner) b) Does this unit perform any better at any particular frequencies (and where one may encounter less drift), my colleague is currently using this in the 87.xx range (even though the Arkon unit does say it starts at 88mhz, it does appear to go below this) as this does not appear to be in use by any radio station, though it has been tested at 88.60 (and the same problem has occured). c) Any other advice, as I would like to purchase something like this, but I don't want to suffer from the same problems my colleague does. Plus if I can get one which works well, I can gloat :) d) Do expansys sell any similar unit where the frequency can be set digitally as opposed to using an analogue tuning dial thus (supposedly) preventing this drift from occuring. Many thanks.
  • lostsoul
Is anyone out there able to help me with this??
  • Mahesh
Sorry mate, I've requested our product manager (Pat) who sources the Arkon item to have a look at this. Hopefully he should post a solution. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
  • lostsoul
Many thanks, I look forward to seeing if he can come up with anything! Cheers
  • Patrick
Hello, You going to have drift with the SF100 as it is based on an earlier technology. The advantage of the SF100 is that is can be tuned into ANY blank station on the FM bank. Basically, a lot more choices availble. The downside is the drift which means you will occasionally need to fine tune. The new models out there are based on PLL (Phase Lock Loop) synthesized circuitry. They do not have drift... that's their advantage. Their downfall however is that they usually only let the user select from 4 channels. This limits your choices for available FM stations particularly in larger markets. These units will be out in a few months. Patrick
  • lostsoul
Thanks for your reply Patrick. Will expansys be selling these to the UK market also? I did see similar things to this when I was in the USA such as products by Belkin, which were limited to 88.1/.3/.5/.7 if these are going to be available, then that is what I am looking for I think. Thanks once again, Howard
  • Mahesh
Howard - If Pat can source them, then yes eXpansys UK will be selling the items. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
;