D-Link DSL-604+ Wireless ADSL Router – Support Forum

Guide to setting up a Static IP Address [D-Link DSL-604+ Wireless ADSL Router - 104294]

• Mik
Compiled from a number of rperkin's original posts, Thanks Richard. If you are using static IP addresses you need to have some kind of organisation as to how they are allocated. When you are using DHCP the router will do that for you; if you are allocating IP addresses 'by hand' *you* need to do it. By default, the DSL-604+ allocates 32 addresses dynamically. These are 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.33. All addresses outside this range and within the router's subnet are, by definition, static. Suggest you leave this range alone, and indeed don't turn DHCP off at all (it can be useful!), just allocate adddresses above this range to your systems. If you do want to turn DHCP off, set the State to Disabled on the router's Configuration | DHCP Configuration on LAN screen. There are many schemes you can devise for allocating addresses. It could be just sequential, or you could try to impose some structure... Personally, I would allocate the high addresses as static - one simple reason being that it is less work to configure! You might for example arrange your addresses like this (assuming they are of the form 192.168.0.n): 1 router (also default Gateway, primary DNS server) 2-33 dynamic 40-59 PC kit 60-79 Linux kit 80-99 Macintosh kit 100-109 print servers 150-159 bridges 200-210 publicly accessible servers eg web, FTP, game If you were running a small business, you might allocate a block of IP addresses to each department. The only reason for doing any of this is to give some kind of identification and structure so that the numbers have a little more meaning. You will also need to know the IP addresses of the Primary and Secondary DNS servers. Since the router will act as a proxy DNS server (unless you have turned this feature off), the Primary DNS server should be the router. The Secondary DNS server should be your ISP's primary DNS server. Hope that's not too complex. Where can you find these addresses? If your ISP has allocated you static IP addresses, you will have been told this information. If your ISP is allocating these dynamically, you will find them on the Configuration | Proxy DNS screen. There's nothing to configure on the router - just ensure that DHCP is enabled, then avoid the range of IP addresses allocated by DHCP when allocating other IP addresses. By definition these will be static. Setting up Client PC's On a PC under WinXP: 1. In Network Connections, right click on the appropriate icon in the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, and select Properties 2. Double click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' 3. For DHCP (the default) you need 'Obtain an IP address automatically' set 4. For a static IP address, ensure that 'Use the following IP address' is set. Enter the following: IP address: 192.168.0.40 (or whatever you have selected) Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Default gateway: 192.168.0.1 (the router's IP address) Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.1 (assuming you have the router set as a DNS proxy server) Alternate DNS server: the IP address of your ISP's primary DNS server (you could probably leave this field blank when using the router as a DNS proxy) On a Macintosh under OS X: 1. Choose 'System Preferences...' from the Apple Menu 2. Click the 'Network' icon 3. Select 'Built-in Ethernet' (or the appropriate interface) from the 'Configure:' pop-up list 4. Select the 'TCP/IP' tab 5. Select 'Manually' from the 'Configure:' drop-down list. 6. E
I think this relates to creating static addresses for the LAN? I wnat to know how to set up the static address for my ISP connection. Do I simply input the static address the ISP supplies or are there other settings I need to adjust to ensure the Cisco VPN client on my work laptop can access the corporate network? Also what settinsg do I need to apply in order to allow 2 personal (non-work) PC's to access the inetrnet?
  • qik1
Just a note to this good advice: DHCP will give out address's statring at the low numbers e.g.192.168.0.1 .2 .3 etc. So you should always give static IP address's high numbers 192.168.0.254 .253 .252 etc. qik1
  • gbenga
MY NAME IS GBENGA OLOKUN.I AM FROM NIGERIA.I'M JUST JOINING THE ORGANISATION FOR ME TO KNOW ABOUT MY IP ADDRESS,OK.BUT NOW I'M FACING SOME PROBLEM IN MY CAFE.I'M USING IP ADDRESS FORM NIGERIA.WHEN EVER RAIN FALL MY SERVER WILL BE SLOW AND MY COSTOMER ARE COMPAINING ABOUT IT.I JUST SEACH FOR YOUR SITE THEN I SAW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. NOW I WANT YOU TO ENLIGHTEN ME ABOUT THE PROBLEM THAT ARE IT,OK. AND I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY
;