Hitachi 4GB Microdrive – Support Forum

Suitable for iPAQ2210 [Hitachi 4GB Microdrive - 110763]

Will the 4Gb Hitachi microdrive work in an iPAQ 2210?
  • Michael
There is no reason why the 2210 should not support the Hitachi Microdrive. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • bfarthin
Could it be used to store MP3's on a 2210? Do microdrives use more battery power than CF cards, and are they as robust as a solid state card? Thanks.
  • Michael
Yes, they can be used to store MP3 files. They do use more power than a standard CF card as they are essentially a mini hard drive, they are as robust as a solid state card if not more so. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • bfarthin
Thanks Michael.
  • Derek G
I can confirm that the Hitachi 4GB Microdrive and its FAT32 file system are supported by the iPaq 2210. HOWEVER, Hitachi do not provide any way of removing the CF drive from the iPaq. The original 1GB IBM Microdrive has an "all metal" top cover with a recess for your fingernail to get some pressure in the direction you need to remove it. These latest Hitachi microdrives (I suspect the 2GB as well as the 4GB) have a plastic top cover and no recess to get any grip! The plastic deforms as soon as you apply any pressure and it is only held in place by the plastic adhesive tape that surrounds the whole body of the drive. Is the next step to try a pair of tool grips, but this is fraught with difficulties if you apply too much pressure and squash the drive. Do Expansys have any ideas, or more importantly, do Hitachi have any ideas? A decision needs to be made for either finding a solution to the card's removal or to designate the drives as incompatible to the iPaq 22xx and possibly many other PPC genre.
  • Mik
I have just spoken to purchasing about the removal problem and they are talking our suppliers. I will post again when I get anymore information. -- Mick - eXpansys
  • Derek G
It would be helpful for purchasing to provide some kind of reply. I currently have an iPAQ 2210 that I can not fully use unless I risk using a pair of grips to remove the poorly designed microdrive from the CF slot. Will Hitachi or Expansys underwrite my actions for using a brute force approach to remove the microdrive, or do they have some other solution to the problem. I think the millions of PPC users out there should be properly informed about this kind of design fault, but I wanted to offer Hitachi an appropriate opportunity before detailing my circumstances on various forums? A week has gone by already and this should have been sufficient for Hitachi to formulate some kind of response.
  • Mik
I have just spoken to purchasing. They say that Hitachi have now sorted the removal problem out on the 4Gb drive. However the device is now not recognised. Think the best idea would be to sent the 4Gb one back, and we will sort out a 2Gb card at a discounted rate in the interim. -- Mick - eXpansys
  • Derek G
Thanks for looking into the problem adn getting a firm response. Hitachi have got very big production problems if they simply strengthen the case and the PPC does not recognise it. Sounds like a a bit of deliberately twisted logic from where I stand? I'll contact sales to arrange the refund/replacement. Thanks for your help contacting Hitachi.
  • Mik
It does seem like big problems at Hitachi. Hope you manage to sort a new drive out. Ill post again if I hear anything else. Sorry for the inconvience. -- Mick - eXpansys
  • tuson
Hi, I'm using 2210 as well while recently I had got a 4GB micodrive(46C) which originally from my MP3 player and format as FAT32 in order for 2210 use but it did not recognize the microdrive. Can help for some advise? Thks.
;