HP iPAQ h4150 Pocket PC – Support Forum

HP4150 + TomTom III Bluetooth + Expansys SD Card [HP iPAQ h4150 Pocket PC - 107956]

• mcderd
I have recently purchased a HP4150 from Expansys and have a TomTom III Bluetooth GPS on order (due in this week!). I have read elsewhere that TomTom loads it's own Bluetooth driver to control BT on the iPAQ, and you have to uninstall TomTom and perform a hard reset to get control of the iPAQs BT, if this is the case this combination will not be of any use as I need to use my Bluetooth phone with the device as well as TomTom, can anyone confirm this ? Also what size SD card is recommended for use with iPAQ 4150 and TomTom III, are the Expansys SD cards fully compatible. One last question.... Is the speaker in the iPAQ up to the job of presenting the voice prompts loudly/clearly enough ? Dennis
  • Michael
Never heard of this problem, where did you get the information. Navigator III software is just an upgraded version of the Navigator II, which I have used and it never needed the unit to be hard reset for it to allow you to use the bluetooth on the iPAQ after use. I am not sure if you can use the phone and the Navigator at the same time though. As for the SD card size 128mb is the minimum recommended, it all depends on the amount of maps that you install. Check here for map sizes for a better idea of the size of the SD card that you will need. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • mcderd
Thanks for your response Michael, I read about the Bluetooth problem here: http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtomnavigator3.php Where it says: TomTom ~ GPS Driver Unfortunately TomTom have decided to leave in their "fudge" driver which takes control of the Pocket PC's Bluetooth Port and won't allow any other program to talk directly to it. This has been a major problem for most people who have more than one GPS program on their Pocket PC's, and after installing TomTom Navigator 3, as before, uninstall the TomTom ~ GPS driver and then allow it to soft reset the Pocket PC and all will return to normal. PS It states a soft-reset not a hard-reset as I said earlier. Dennis
  • Michael
Fair enough, though as long as you do not have any other GPS programs installed you shouldn't have any problems. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • mcderd
Yes, I see your point, but what about when I want to use Bluetooth to access the Internet via my mobile phone ? Dennis
  • Michael
I will email TomTom with the query and get back to you. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • mcderd
Thanks Michael. Dennis
  • Michael
Got the following response from TomTom. "Later versions of the GPS driver lock the comport that is in use by the GPs ( This is to prevent conflicts from other applications. If customers have Navigator installed other applications will not be able to access this comport. The only solution is to uninstall the GPS driver and install an earlier version We can provide an earlier version (2.06) on request." I asked for the earlier version and they have emailed it to me, though they stated that they haven't used it with the 4150, though it should work. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • mcderd
Michael, Could you forward the driver to mcderd@yahoo.com Many Thanks Dennis
  • Michael
I have sent the driver to you. -- Michael - eXpansys
I was just about to order exactly this combination, and I would have exactly the same problem in that I want to also use bluetooth on the 4150 to link with my mobile phone. Since I have not yet purchased, I am able to change from TomTom to another supplier. Can you confirm if this problem does not exist with other providers e.g. that the bluetooth port is not locked up? Related to this - if I only wanted to use GPS in the car, would a wired solution therefore get around this problem - any obvious downside to using wired? I just thought bluetooth would be a neat solution, but haven't any particular logic behind this.
  • Michael
It is not linked to where you get the unit from, it is actually the software that comes with the TomTom 3. The main difference between the wired version and the bluetooth version is the wires themselves, they both provide the same service. You could still use the TomTom 2 bluetooth or even the Navman 4410. -- Michael - eXpansys
;