HP iPAQ TMC GPS Car Charger – Support Forum

Does this work in the UK? [HP iPAQ TMC GPS Car Charger - 157840]

• umern

Can anyone confirm if this definitely works in the UK? Read on a few forums that it requests a subscriptionkey connected to their Ipaq 314...

• dougproctor

I couldn't get it to work and I have not met anyone else who has either. Information is scant to say the least - HP do not have a clue as to which countries have to pay and which don't - all the links for info tell you nothing. I would leave well alone until someone says they have it going.

When you connect it up, it asks for a subscription number and tells you to press this button and that and it will take you to HP's main US site but how? It is not a wireless product!

Chocolate teapot comes to mind!!

• Yoni

TMC in the U.K is a free service, so in theory at least, it should work. 

But as Doug said, no one has reported that they have it working. 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

• AWS
Does anyone have an update. I can get the unit to scan and it detects that TMC information is broadcast on 107.1 but it will not lock onto the frequency when in auto mode. In manual mode it does lock and says TMC present but does not receive any traffic information.

On one screen it tell you to activate the unit on the HP website but I can not see how/where.

This would be a great addition to the 314 if only it worked.

• dougproctor

Your last statement says it all - great if it worked! Trouble is, it doesn't and you won't find any information on how to get it going.

Got rid of mine, most sensible solution.

• Yoni

Doug, did you try setting it to 101? (classic FM) 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

• AWS

Been in touch with HP on-line help and they working on this for over a week. They have finally came back and said there is an issue with the license in the UK and they are in the process of refunding the purchase price.

They are letting me keep the unit (its a more compact charger than the one the 314 shipped with) so at least I got something for all the time wasted!

I will keep looking at the various forums in the vain hope that someone outside HP actually work out how to get it to work. 

• dougproctor
Funny but the first thing I read, after I bought it, was that there was a problem with the licencing in the UK - HP wouldn't pay the fee!! And the hassle I had trying to get the firm I bought it from to refund me and they said it was an HP problem and not theirs. Thanks for the update - all makes sense now.
;