HTC Hero Android Smart Phone – Support Forum

A DEAF Tariff anyone? [HTC Hero Android Smart Phone - 184566]

• DavidDB

Nine million people in the UK (15% of the population) suffer from permanent, disabling hearing loss.

The estimated demographic figure has ranged from 22 million deaf and hard of hearing to as high as 36 million deaf and hard of hearing worldwide. Of these, only a few million are considered "deaf" and the remainder are hard of hearing but cannot use a phone.

for 30 years this group has had to PAY for Unused "Call Time" and are sick of it.

I will launch a Data only package for registered DEAF users within 3 months in the UK but wishes a a network would provide a worldwide backbone for these services.

the first phone available will be the HTC HERO but other ANDROID phones will be introduced later in the year.

I want to hear from DEAF Users - (especially the angry ones that are fed up with the way DEAF users are treated)

I especially want to hear from developers that can provide as real time as possible SUBTITLES to speech.

Switch on the app and anything heard by microphone could be sent to a server for voice to text and squirted back to the phone. Come on IBM we know you love Android :)

So All you can eat Data Plan - Pay for calls as you go. a Lovely Android Phone and best of all IF your a network it could add millions of  LOYAL customers and their mothers and brothers.

• Yoni

David,

I hope you get somewhere with this project, I have made you post sticky to keep visible for as long as poss. 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

• DavidDB

Thank you - I normally get told I should be greatful for the plans - tariffs that are out there ... 

I know all networks are aware of the campaign, and a number of MPs support the idea.

I will report back if one of the network MDs come back with anything positive

Just a matter of time now I am sure - even if its taken 18 months of campaigning to get this far

• Step666

Obviously one starting point would be to contact organisations that already provide communication solutions for deaf people.

Carphone Warehouse used to offer a service that would convert your voicemail messages to text and send them out via SMS, so you could try contacting them as well.

Lastly, finding some sort of Android-sepecific developers forum might be a worthwhile step as you may get a bigger response than you will on here.
Same goes for XDA-devs - true it's mostly a WinMo-oriented forum but it caters for all HTC handsets and there are people there already working with Android.

As for your tariff idea, what about text messages?
They would seem a more obvious service for deaf or hard-of-hearing users in many ways than a data bundle.

-Step666

• anitalg
One of my deaf customers uses msn on 3 as its free, and they custom did her a talk plan with no mins and hundreds of text. She also used the skype message thing.
  • DavidDB

I have indeed posted to Android developers and would dearly love a voice recorder that would convert to text - real time subtitles -  but I accept that the voice clip might have to be sent to a server for translation so may be very lagged -  BUT a life saver in some situations. 

3 network do indeed offer a good deal - but the phone choice is sub par - ANDROID is our future ;)

• Step666
That deal on Three sounds like it was just a Mix 'n' Match tariff - kinda like the Flext ones from T-Mobile.

I agree with the comment about their phones, the selection ain't great.
But you can now get some unlocked, unbranded handsets on Three contracts.

As for Android, it is starting to look like a major player and I'm looking forward to the release of Rachael from SE.
But, it's still a long way away from supplanting Symbian.

-Step666
  • Step666
I know it's not the greatest piece of advertising, but here's a possible lead.

-Step666
  • dawsonas

You can get the "all you can eat" data plan now just ge ta 3G USB dongle and take the SIM card out - Vodafone do one for ISTR £18 a month +VAT. The issue is then getting voice on PAYG added but would a VOIP service do for that.

As others have said probably best to look for some partner to develop the apps required - looks a very worthwhile project though so good luck

• dawsonas

Another option to Step666 mentioning Spinvox is Ribbit/Gotvoice or Vonage which all support either SMS and/or email the text and voicemail can be received as MP3 attachments so can be replayed via an email client which may give better replay options for people who have hearing impediments.

http://www.simulscribe.com/ (which is used in Ribbit and others) offers APIs to developers.

Personally though I've not found any of the voice to text services to be very good

• N.Hill

HI,

I am hearing impaired and have seen your post after thinking I would buy and HTC hero. I have for many years wondered why there wasn't a special tariff for the deaf including just text messaging, which is what I find I use the most. My current phone is a SIM free one and I have a pay as you go sim from Vodafone which I just top up every now and then. I see the post you did was in July and you said you woudl be offering a deaf tariff in 3 months in the UK, I wonder if this has materialised yet and if so could I have some details.

In this day and age it would be useful for deaf users to have a package that included text and also internet ( allowing emails as another good alternative to voice) .. at a cheaper rate...

I do happen to know that O2 do a sim card that includes so many free mins and 300 texts and unlimited internet I think its the text and web one. This is a pretty good package for someone who only texts most of the time.

Nadine 

• Step666
As good an idea as this traiff was, it has been somewhat undermined by recent PAYG packages from some of the networks.

First up, Virgin started offering unlimited texts and web when you topped up £20 a month or more on it's 'Addict' tariff.
Then O2 launched it's Text & Web tariff offers unlimited texts and web usage for a £15 top-up every month.
And most recently, T-Mobile have started offering unlimited texts and web for a mere £10/month.

Between these three offers, it makes pitching the concept of a text and web only pay monthly tariff very difficult.
Obviously there is the issue that by staying on PAYG you can't get as heavy a subsidy on the handset(s) but £10/month is pretty much impossible to beat whilst also covering the cost of a phone.

-Step666
;