HTC Hero Android Smart Phone – Support Forum

What services are required to support an HTC Hero on O2 [HTC Hero Android Smart Phone - 184566]

• mad_macs

Hi,

I'm currently on the SIM Only deal with O2 - 12 month contract, 800 Mins 1,600 Texts with the 'unlimited o2 to o2 calls' bolton.

I have some questions and am hoping that you can answer them as I'm keen to buy an HTC Hero and get it working with my current package:

1. O2 offer several different 'boltons' relating to phone data, specifically I've found at least three: 'unlimited web', 'unlimited wi-fi' and 'blackberry'. Do you know the difference between these 'boltons'?

2. It I were to purchase an HTC Hero, which 'bolt-on(s)' would I need to get to give me full functionality of all the features on the HTC Hero? I'm keen to do this at a set price per month if possible.

3. Are there any catches, limitations or fair-use policies which I should be aware of on O2 pertaining to these services.

Many thanks,

Mad Macs ':o)
  • tch_burn

You don't have a blackberry, so forget that optio, unlimited wifi gives you access to the cloud (http://www.thecloud.net) but forget that as well, the HSDPA (3.5G) connection is more than enough for surfing on the move with o2.

I've got the unlimited mobile web bolton, which is more than worth the money each month. So far it hasn't dipped below 3.5G speeds, fair use is stated as being around the 3gb mark but I stream music from last.fm all the time when I'm on the move, add in normal web use and my data regularly goes over 5gb - haven't ever heard anything from o2 about calming down so far (touch wood but I've been with them 9 years, so maybe long standing customers get lee way.

I'd definitely recommend o2, never had any problems, they've always excelled what I wanted, and the Hero is the perfect addition to that.

• Step666
Just be aware that 3G/HSDPA coverage is very much location-dependent and O2's coverage is the poorest of any major UK network.

-Step666
  • tch_burn

Really? Wow, I travel all over the UK and my coverage has never been anything but exception. Still, that's mostly cities so I guess outlying areas could easily be terrible.

• Step666
Going back a couple of years, O2 were actually fined by Ofcom because their 3G coverage didn't meet a specified standard.

It's improved since then but it continues to lag behind the competition.

-Step666
  • mad_macs
Hi,

Thanks for these answers, so in summary and to confirm before I take the plunge; all I need is the 'unlimited web' bolton from O2 and I'll get full HTC Hero functionality.

Many thanks,

Mad Macs ':o)

• tch_burn
Jep, that's what I have.
;