Mitac Mio 168 GPS PPC + TomTom – Support Forum

inaccuracy of gps [Mitac Mio 168 GPS PPC + TomTom - 113854]

I puchased a Mitac Mio 168 and Tomtom last week from you. The first four days it was great, spot on as we passed each road. Now however it is so slow to react that when you are driving along it is always 300 yards behind, even with extension aerial, until you stop when it finally catches up. I have tried turning the unit off and on, resetting completely and re-installing software but to no avail. GB maps are stored on a seperate 256sd card and there are now no other files stored on it. Mitac seem to think the unit is faulty do you agree.
  • Michael
It does sound like a problem with the GPS on the unit as it shouldn't be that far out, especially with the antenna attached. You will have to return it. -- Michael - eXpansys
OK, have returned it, will be with you Monday 29th (Today), any idea when I might receive my replacement?
  • Mik
Do you have your Order Ref and I will see if we have received it and whether I can find out a time scale for the replacement. -- Mick - eXpansys
4BG3-B11F-22B9 but I think I forgot to include it with the unit!
  • Mik
Ill pass it on to the Returns Department, they will contact you. -- Mick - eXpansys
Thursday 2nd Dec, still waiting to hear something!!
  • Mik
Email returns@expansys.com directly and they will be able to tell you more. -- Mick - eXpansys
Ok have just received my replacement unit and it has exactly the same problem! When I am driving along it annouces that in 300 yards I turn left, but by then I have reached the junction! If I stop at the junction it cathes up after about 5 - 10 secs. Are you sure there isn't something not set correctly. I am using it with a lexar 256SD card which only has the GB map on. It is the same whether I use the external or built in aerial!
I have finally sussed it! There are two settings you can set the GPS unit to, both of which work! NMEA 0183v24800 and sirf4800, However one works slower hence the 300 yards out. The correct one is obviously the NMEA 0183v2 4800. It might be useful if you print out that information and put it in with every pc168 and tomtom software you sell so other people don't end up returning units which are obviously just set wrong!
;