Motorola RAZR V3 – Support Forum

Can't put mp3 as ringtones [Motorola RAZR V3 - 115166]

• Audrey001

hello,

I recently bought a Motorola razr v3, and I succesfully added some mp3 song on it with ''Motorolla Phone tools''.

But I can't transfer any song in the file 'ringtones'  they all appear in the file 'audio', and when I select a song in my phone the option ringtones is not available... I searched already in the forum but didin't find any answer :S

Can someone help me please?

Thanxs

Audrey

to set ur ringtones u have to go to main manu/settings/ring styles/details/calls/ and that where u pick ur melody
  • heathero

I'm having the same problem.  When I go into the /details/calls menu the mp3 clip isn't listed. 

Through the "Motorolla phone tools" software I can't transfer the file to the ringtone folder through the File Transfer Studio or through the Melody Studio.  The last step in the Melody Studio after you transfer the clip to your phone says to "follow the steps on your phone" to make the clip a ring tone, but no instructions come up on the phone!

When you go to media gallery/ sounds/ the clips are listed there, but unlike all of the motorolla sounds, the ones that I transferred to the phone don't have the option to "apply as".

what am I doing wrong?

thanks!

• cjluney

Possible Problem:  The songs you transfered to the phone are too large to be used as ringtones.  From what I've seen on the RAZR, the maximum size useable for RINGTONES is between 500kb and 600kb.  Otherwise, the phone WILL NOT allow you to use it as a ringtone.

Possible Solution:  If you created the song with a program like iTunes, try a) lowering the quality a notch (or 2), and b) decreasing the length of the song, or c) both, if neither one alone solves the problem.  Hope this helps!

~Micah~ 

• anitalg
Or are they copywrited?  Sometimes that stops it too.
  • jolly roger
I have ringtone mp3's with  durations of upto 3 minutes and file sizes around 900KB.. so I would try re-encoding them at a lower quality.
  • Airax

As jolly roger says, its more then likely a bit rate issue. I had the same problem on my V600 years ago. I don't think the phone likes songer at 128kbps or above. So make sure its lower then that. Check the MP3 properties in windows or whatever MP3 player you use on the computer to view the bit rate. dbPower AMP is good at re-encoding songs if your current MP3 player software won't do it for you.

• heathero
thanks for all your help, and I've tried your advice, but the phone will still not take any ringtone that I download onto it with the Motorolla Phone Tools programme, even though the programme specifically says that it will do it!  The files are definately not too big, not protected or anything.  Frustrating. 
  • anitalg
Try getting a friend to bluetooth you one, bearing in mind the small memory of the phone, and see if that will work

I bluetoothed my daughter ringtones to her Motorolla Razr V3 but we can't transfer them to apply as ringtone. They are stored under sounds. The songs are not too large. How can we apply them to ringtones?

I bluetoothed my daughter ringtones to her Motorolla Razr V3 but we can't transfer them to apply as ringtone. They are stored under sounds. The songs are not too large. How can we apply them to ringtones?

• anitalg
Which network are you with? If you go to settings, ringtones are they not in there?
;