Please note that restrictions on air travel and coronavirus-related lockdown measures may lead to delays in shipments that we are unable to control. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

Nokia 8800 – Support Forum

Nokia just won't replace my phone! [Nokia 8800 - 121008]

• calvin02
Hi everyone, just thought i'd share my experiences with my fellow 8800 users, I bought my nokia 8800 in australia outright(no plan) when it came out about a year ago, within a month or 2 i noticed that the battery life was quite poor but as i've read i figured that this was just a design flaw. I took it to the service centre and on the spot the flashed the firmware, energy calibration, and gave me 2 brand new batteries. I then used the phone for another 6 months with the battery life being about the same, the phone then started to have this problem where i would make a call and i could not hear the other person, but they could hear me, the phone would then reboot. A few months back this started getting worse, and would happen atleast twice a day, not to mention a new problem where the phone would not last 12 hours with about 15mins of talk time. The phone would show full bars, then while on the phone just go blank and when i finally realise and look down I can see a faded low battery alert. You turn the phone on and then it'll show maybe 3-4 bars, you try to make the call again and it will die in the call once again. So a few months back i took the phone in and the did energy calibration and the firmware and another new battery, i got it back in a day and they said it was fixed. It died the next day and now my phone won't really last a full day with about 10 mins of talk time. I took it back straight away and they insisted they needed to field test the phone but would not give me a loan phone so i didn't leave it with them that day. I rang the Nokia Don't Care line and they were totally unhelpful and wanted me to take it back for testing and after about an hour of argueing he "caved" and said he'd send me a battery free of charge as a gesture of goodwill after i had explained that i've received 3 new batteries not including the 2 it came with. Yesterday i finally decided to give it to them for "field testing" and they have rang me today and said that they've flashed it again, done and energy calibration and given me another battery, they claim that if this doesn't work i need to bring it back for testing with both batteries. Long story short, the phone's been flashed 4 times, 4 calibrations, like 5 batteries, it's obviously a hardware problem but they refuse to say it's broken so i can get a new phone. Any suggestions? are they going to fob me off until it's out of warrantee? sorry for the long rant. Calvin
That is outrageous. Only suggestion is to contact Trading Standards, as that's beyond poor customer service. Forum Search DON'T be afraid to use it!
  • selene
Calvin, Several questions for you.... 1. Where are you based? 2. How did you pay for your phone? 3. This relates to question 1, which service centre are you taking the phone to? Selene -- Forum Search - you know you want to...
  • calvin02
Hi Selene, I'm in Canberra, Australia. I bought it unlocked on my amex when it was first released. And i've been taking it to nokia"care" in Canberra on Northborne Ave who i've heard is an outsource company called phone care. Also a quick update, I got the phone back so it went on the charger when i went home, the next morning(today) i took it off the stand and have had it on me all day showing full bars, i made a 2ish minute phone call around 3:30pm, and then at around 7pm tonight i called a friend in France, after about 2-3mins it died showing a faded empty battery alert. I turned the phone back on and it showed full bars, i checked the call register and it confrimed that total incoming and outgoing calls did not exceed 6 mins since i got the phone back flashed from the store. The Lady at the counter told me the technician assured that this flash would fix all problems and even asked me to charge my battery for 12 hours to "iron out" the bugs, i asked her why this was necessary when the battery was obviously my old battery she just kept saying that i need charge my battery for 12 hours to "iron out" all the bugs. She must think i'm an idiot to believe that a 12 hour cycle is required to complete a flash to v4.1.
  • yumcha
calvin i bought my phone when it first arrived in australia like you initially had the exact same problem as you but fixed now. no firmware upgrades, calibrations etc... just got my hands on a good battery read my other post http://www.expansys.com.au/forumthread.asp?code=121008&thread=239
  • calvin02
Hi yumcha, I've already been through 5 brand new batteries that i properly cycle when new, it's just that she wanted me to cycle my old battery which i know will do nothing. Unless the 5 batteries i've had are all duds then i refuse to beleive that my issue is a battery one. It seems that the phone dumps all it's power at an alarming rate when it's on a call. I've never been able to use the bluetooth function apart from trialing it when i first got the phone as it will render my phone useless for the rest of the day until i get home and i can never ever go a night without it being in the cradle. It's in the cradle when i go to bed, then i take it to work, then it'll have to put it back on the cradle when i get home.
  • selene
Hi Calvin, I'm not sure how Nokia in Australia works but here in the UK, if the phone is returned to Nokia 3 times and the problem is still not resolved, on the 4th visit, the handset is replaced with a brand new unit. Given that you paid via a credit card, have you explored whether there is any recourse via your credit card company? Selene -- Forum Search - you know you want to...
  • yumcha
calvin seems as if you might have a bigger problem than just the battery. which service centre did you go to? have you tried another one?
  • imaran786

grate phone https://graphpapersprint.com/  https://graphpapersprint.com/graph-paper/

;