Nokia E61 – Support Forum

VOIP/SIP using E61 - Free Calls !!!! [Nokia E61 - 126969]

• ozymandias
OK. This is very cool so listen up. The E61 was (as you probably know) designed to work as a SIP/VOIP client. So if you had a SIP/VOIP telephony system in your office you could connect your phone to that. There are free VOIP providers on the net that have started allowing SIP connections to their systems. The only one I can get to work is VOIPBuster. This will give you free calls to landlines in the following countries : Andorra Australia Austria Belgium Canada Chile Cyprus Denmark Estonia Finland France Greece Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Italy Japan Liechtenstein Luxembourg Malaysia Monaco Netherlands New Zealand Norway Panama Portugal Singapore South Korea Spain Switzerland Taiwan United Kingdom United States (+ mobiles but I have not tested this) Here's how. First go to http://www.voipbuster.com and download their free program and install it onto your PC. It is basically like Skype. When you start it will ask you to sign up so create an account with a username and password you will need these below where it says *your_user_name* and *your_password*. Make sure you have at least one WLAN access point defined (*your_wlan_access_point* ) and it's one you can get on to. Then go to Menu->Tools->Settings-Connection->SIP settings and create a profile with the following settings : Profile name : VOIPBuster Service Profile : IETF Default Access point : *your_wlan_access_point* Public user name : *your_user_name*@voipbuster.com Use compression : No Registration : See Note 1 below Use security : No Proxy server --> Proxy server address : none --> Realm : none --> User name : none --> Password : none --> Allow loose routing : Yes --> Transport Type : UDP --> Port : 5060 Registrar Server --> Registrat serv. addr. : sip.voipbuster.com --> Realm : voipbuster.com --> User name : *your_user_name* --> Password : *your_password* --> Transport Type : UDP --> Port : 5060 Note 1 : the Registration option can be either "always on" in which case the E61 will register with VOIPBuster whenever it can connect to the access point you have chosen, or it can be "When Required" in which case you manually go into Menu->Connect->Internet tel.->Registration Status to connect and disconnect. I have mine set to "When Required". Then go to Menu->Tools->Settings->Connection->Internet tel. settings ans set your default profile to use the SIP profile you just created. If you have set it to When Required go into Menu->Connect->Internet tel.->Registration Status and select the profile to register and connect. It will think about it for a bit and then it should connect you. You will now have an extra call option when you look in Contacts and when you use the Call context menu. This option is to make an Internet Call. NB : if you try to make a VOIP call to a number that is not free you will simply get an error saying Internet Call Service not available.
  • picix
The program works great from the PC, but the E61 do not register. I have the impression that it can't connect to WLAN on-demand for register..... And besides this I tried with a previous hand-made connection, but it fails after 2 minutes waiting... are you sure the proxy is empty? picix
  • picix
It finally worked copying the registar info into the proxy fields.... Now I got some trouble due to the WLAN router, I fear, I can hear the 'free' tone but nothing else... picix.
  • ozymandias
If you dial *#0000# what firmware versoin does it say you have ? I know that some people had problems with NAT traversal using the SIP client but I think these were fixed eith the most recent firmware updates.
  • ozymandias
BTW, I have 2.0618.06.05 and it worked perfectly for me with the original settings I posted above. The fact that you need to set a proxy and that even then you don't connect properly suggests a NAT problem.
  • picix
I have the previous version, 1.something ... Paolo
  • ozymandias
You may want to think about upgrading if you can. I believe there is an issue with NAT traversla using the sip client in version 1
  • Gig_76
I made the configuration, and the call starts without any problem BUT, when I try to call any landline numbers, I cannot actually speak, since I cannot hear anything! Also who receives the call cannot hear... My firmware version is 1.0610.04.04 and the E61 is branded as TIM (just in the SW, since externally is no brand) Any suggestions?
  • ozymandias
As stated above I don''t think this works with version 1 of the firmware.
  • sjLondon
If you want a Nokia E series to work behind a NATed router, e.g. on a local LAN, then, regardless of your firmware version, you should use the aql.com service. Its not a software download, just some special routing technology. Besides actually working, there are a few other benefits: The configurations are sent in a special text file over the air (OTA) and when you call someone over VoIP they see your GSM number as CLI on their screen not a SIP or other number. That is quite important to me as a business user. Details here: http://aql.com/telecoms/site/voip-on-nokia.php Remember to define an access point (AP) before you try to make a call and the access point needs to be in the SIP setting section as well. So if you are using a different AP you need to make a copy of you SIP settings with a new name (e.g. based on the AP name), then edit the AP name in the SIP settings. e.g. AP ''work'' has matching SIP settings ''work'', and AP ''home'' has matching SIP profile ''home'' set to AP ''home''.
Help!! I have done all the info on here to set up the VOIP but i have found where it says access point all i have is Three''s access points i.e. 3,3(01),3mms any idea''s, or have Three uk locked the wifi side of the internet all works great!! just carnt manually select wireless! Thanks
  • ozymandias
************************************************************** IMPORTANT UPDATE ************************************************************** Your VOIP may stop working when you upgrade to the latest V3 firmware for E61. You will probably need to delete and recreate your VOIP and SIP profile settings. Also, although this post says "free calls" these are limited with this service unless/until you buy some credit. You only have to spend 10 euros to keep the free calls coming. The only reason I mention this is that once your free calls expire the VOIPBuster service will just stop accepting your connections until you purchase credit, but on the E61 there is no message telling you WHY it is not connecting. **************************************************************
;