UBiQUiO 101 Cordless Skype and Landline Home Phone – Support Forum

Ubiquio problems; [UBiQUiO 101 Cordless Skype and Landline Home Phone - 135658]

• Tazfan

Hi.

I have recently taken delivery of a 101, but I cant get it to work. The phone cable that was supplied didn’t fit as it was RJ11 on both ends. I need RJ11 on the phone end and a BT style plug on the other. I bought a replacement cable from Maplins (HOW expensive are they??) yesterday, but plugging in resulted in no success. The handset/base are registered to each other, but there is no response from the phone at all.

I have even tried the cable from my working landline, but it still doesn’t work.

I read in the manual that cables other than the one supplied may not work. Could that be the case here? If so, how do I get around it if the supplied cable is the wrong one?

I have no idea if the Skype side of the phone works, as I am new to it and have no Skype contacts.

Any help that you can offer will be appreciated a great deal, so thank you very much in advance for your time.

Neil

• Yoni

The cable it came with should plug in to the ADSL filter, not the phone socket. 

To test the skype connection add "echo123" as a contact, and call it.

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

Firstly don't plug it into your ADSL box as someone else has suggested that wont fix the problem, that wont do anything at all.

Secondly you need to get a convertor to go from RJ11 to the BT phone socket.  I got one with an phone extension cable I bought from Asda, you can also get them from here http://www.cablecity.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=431&ref=6

As for the cable being so expensive in Maplin.  Yes it will be expensive in Maplin, you would have been far better going on the internet or going to your local pound shop for the cable.

The cable you have got from Maplin is probably a two pin modem cable, if you look closely at the BT end you'll see that only 2 pins are connected, for a phone to work you need the 4 pin variety.  A two pin one is only useful to some modems. 

Also even if you've got the 4 pin variety you might find that the cables are connected up the wrong way, there are a few 4 way cables out there that have there pins crossed.  The only problem with all this is that all of them are usually labelled exactly the same thing.  The only way to tell is to look closely at the colours at each end of the phone cable and make sure that the cable you get has a similar layout - e.g. if you look at your original phone cable and you notice the colours on pin 1 at one end go to pin 2 at the other end you know you need to make sure that the replacement cable you've got matches this, if it doesn't then it wont work.  If however you get a straight forward convertor like the one above and use the original cable into it you should have no problems.

• Yoni

I did not say ADSL box, I said the filter which will have an RJ 11 socket. 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

I've got exactly the same problem as Tazfan but your instructions haven't helped.

Like one of the support guys says, it does work when you plug the phone directly into the RJ11 socket (in my case the BT microfilter) but that is used for my INTERNET connection. The phone socket on the microfilter is the standard wider socket (not sure what it's called) like Tazfan mentioned 'bt style plug'.

I've posted a separate query on this forum, not wanting to directly hijax Tazfan's posting.

FIXED IT!!!!

well, I didn't need any help from expansys in the end but THE PROBLEM I can confirm is the fact that the UBIQUIO phone doesn't accept a connection via a FOUR-PIN telephone chord so you definitely need to use a telephone cable that has a TWO-PIN connection at either end.

My old standard phone accepts both a standard 2-pin RJ11 connection but also any cable that has a converted bt four-pin plug at the other end. THIS IS THE PROBLEM, the ubiquio doesn't work with those lines.

You need a standard RJ11 (2-pin) to four-pin BT style wide converter and this seems to work.

I haven't tested it with making or receiving a SKYPE call directly from/to the phone but I'm sure it will be fine now.

hope this helps you TAZFAN

;